Consultation is the sharing of relevant information about WHS and welfare with workers and other interested parties. It provides workers with a reasonable opportunity to:
- Express their views
- Raise work health and safety issues
- Contribute to the decision making process
Safety consultation values the views of workers, taking them into account and working to advise workers on the outcome in a timely manner.
When is safety consultation required?
- Identifying and assessing risks to health and safety
- Deciding ways to eliminate or minimise those risks
- Deciding on the adequacy of facilities for worker welfare e.g. toilets, meal rooms
- Proposing changes that may affect the health and safety of workers e.g. Consultation to be included in purchasing procedures
- When deciding on procedures for other activities as described under the regulations
What are work groups?
A work group usually consists of workers who perform similar types of work and have similar health and safety concerns and conditions within the workplace.A worker or group of workers may be represented by any person authorised by them. An authorised person can be a union official or any other person. An employer can authorise any person to represent their interests.
What are the consultation options?
- Health and Safety Representatives
- Safety Committee
- Both HSR’s + Committee
- Other Agreed Arrangements (eg team meetings, toolbox talks)
If you would like a confidential discussion on your safety consultation options, then give us a call on 1300 OHS RTW (647 789) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer – these articles are provided to supply general safety information to people responsible for OHS in their organisation. They are general in nature and do not substitute for legal and/or professional advice. We always suggest that organisations obtain information specific to their needs. Additional information can be found at www.workcover.nsw.au
Top job! How Top, a Rehab Consultant, ended a Return To Work stalemate.22 June 2020
The costs of not having a Safety Management System18 June 2020
Top 3 OHS Templates for a safe work environment9 June 2020
Jess uses her skills to help others upskill to find new employment or return to pre-injury work duties.2 June 2020
Back on solid ground: a school groundskeeper’s return to work