Consultation is the sharing of relevant information about WHS and welfare with workers and other interested parties. It provides workers with a reasonable opportunity to:
- Express their views
- Raise work health and safety issues
- Contribute to the decision making process
Safety consultation values the views of workers, taking them into account and working to advise workers on the outcome in a timely manner.
When is safety consultation required?
- Identifying and assessing risks to health and safety
- Deciding ways to eliminate or minimise those risks
- Deciding on the adequacy of facilities for worker welfare e.g. toilets, meal rooms
- Proposing changes that may affect the health and safety of workers e.g. Consultation to be included in purchasing procedures
- When deciding on procedures for other activities as described under the regulations
What are work groups?
A work group usually consists of workers who perform similar types of work and have similar health and safety concerns and conditions within the workplace.A worker or group of workers may be represented by any person authorised by them. An authorised person can be a union official or any other person. An employer can authorise any person to represent their interests.
What are the consultation options?
- Health and Safety Representatives
- Safety Committee
- Both HSR’s + Committee
- Other Agreed Arrangements (eg team meetings, toolbox talks)
If you would like a confidential discussion on your safety consultation options, then give us a call on 1300 OHS RTW (647 789) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer – these articles are provided to supply general safety information to people responsible for OHS in their organisation. They are general in nature and do not substitute for legal and/or professional advice. We always suggest that organisations obtain information specific to their needs. Additional information can be found at www.workcover.nsw.au
Maintaining good mental health during the COVID-19 global pandemic27 March 2020
Support your staff in these times with Recovery Partners’ EAP service25 March 2020
How to do Social Distancing at home20 March 2020
Stuck inside but feeling fine? Here’s our top ten tips for making the most of your home isolation!17 March 2020
What are employer WHS obligations for employees working from home during COVID-19?