30 May 2017 posted by Recovery Partners

Moulds, also known as molds, fungi or mildew, are organisms that belong to the fungi kingdom and are neither plants nor animals. They are commonly found indoors and outdoors. Severe mould growth can cause structural damage to buildings and mould growth indoors can present a health risk.

Potential health effects including being exposed to mould by inhaling or having skin contact with mould spores or particles, or ingesting same. Some moulds release metabolites called mycotoxins, and people can be exposed to these chemicals through skin contact, inhalation or ingestion.

Exposure to mould may cause a range of symptoms, depending on factors such as:

  • the species of mould
  • the amount of mould the person is exposed to
  • length of time the person was exposed
  • individual susceptibility.

Some people can develop an allergic reaction symptoms may include:

  • asthma-like respiratory illness
  • watery, itchy, red eyes
  • chronic cough
  • headaches or migraines
  • rashes (dermatitis)
  • tiredness
  • blocked nose and sinus problems
  • frequent sneezing.

Some mycotoxins have been reported to cause more severe health effects, although this link is not conclusive.

At Recovery Partners, our consultants can assist you by providing a tailored program to suit your needs.

If you’re interested, you can enquire online here. Alternatively, our consultants love to have a chat, so give us a call on 1300 OHS RTW (647 789).    

Image source: <a href=’http://www.freepik.com/free-photo/wall-texture-with-scratches-and-rust_1014338.htm’>Designed by Freepik</a>

209 of 259

Disclaimer – these articles are provided to supply general safety information to people responsible for OHS in their organisation. They are general in nature and do not substitute for legal and/or professional advice. We always suggest that organisations obtain information specific to their needs. Additional information can be found at www.workcover.nsw.au