21 June 2017 posted by Recovery Partners

The answer to this question depends on the state you live in, and it’s important to understand that Medicare does not cover ambulance costs although some private health insurance does cover it. In general, the person being treated by the paramedics is responsible for paying any fees for treatment or transport, even if they didn’t request the ambulance. Entitlements to ambulance services vary from state to state.

>>Click here for an easy to read fact-sheet with state-by-state information<<

New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory:

The person being treated receives the bill. If the injury is part of a workers’ compensation claim, ambulance costs may be covered by your insurer.


The state government waives costs for residents who require ambulance transport within the state and where no third-party payment is available. Tasmanian residents may receive a bill for ambulance transport resulting from either a car crash where motor accident insurance covers the cost or a workplace injury where workers’ compensation insurance covers the cost.

South Australia, Western Australia and the Northern Territory:

Residents pay for ambulance transport except if they have current Ambulance Cover or if the service is for the initial attendance at a motor vehicle accident. The South Australian Ambulance Service will bill another party that has acknowledged responsibility.


The person being treated pays for the ambulance if they do not have current Ambulance Cover. The only exception is people holding a Victorian Pensioner Concession Card or Health Care Card.


All residents receive free ambulance cover throughout Australia.

Click Here For An Ambulance Factsheet

208 of 259

Disclaimer – these articles are provided to supply general safety information to people responsible for OHS in their organisation. They are general in nature and do not substitute for legal and/or professional advice. We always suggest that organisations obtain information specific to their needs. Additional information can be found at www.workcover.nsw.au