RECOVERY PARTNERS: THE SAFETY EXPERTS
Comprehensive incident investigation to determine root cause and develop solutions
As much as you try to avoid the risk of injury and illness, unfortunately, accidents still happen in the workplace and these need an incident investigation. Workplace injuries can be costly if not attended to appropriately.
We can provide a comprehensive incident investigation to determine root cause and develop solutions to prevent reoccurrence. We also provide advice and direction if the state safety authority is involved. In the event of a workplace incident, it is crucial to be informed of the necessary steps to take to ensure your compliance and diligence with legislation and the health and wellbeing of those involved in the incident. We perform investigations from minor incidents to serious incidents in small businesses and huge corporations.
Why investigate all incidents (including near-miss)?
Major research shows that for every 600 near-miss incidents, a major injury/death occurs. We need to learn from the near-miss and minor incidents to prevent serious ones from occurring.
The steps of an investigation include:
- Step 1 – Immediate Actions – Early Interview and Scene Security
- Step 2 – Investigation Planning and Investigation Scope Setting
- Step 3 – Data Collection – Information Gathering
- Step 4 – Data Organisation
- Step 5 – Incident Cause Analysis Method (ICAM)
- Step 6 – Creating SMART Actions
- Step 7 – Reporting
We employ our skills in the following way:
- Outline why your comprehensive accident investigation is important in the workplace
- Define the different incident categories in complex events
- List the phases of investigation and what happens in each phase
- Initiate a planning process before an investigation takes place
- Identify appropriate documents (guidelines/policies/procedures) that apply to the incident investigation
- Utilize procedures for preserving the scene and collecting causal factor evidence.
- Techniques for interviewing the witness and obtaining statements.
- Methods used to analyze data and determine what happened
- Analysis of possible causes (both immediate and underlying)
- Develop recommended corrective actions that can prevent similar accidents
- Prepare an accident investigation report
In the event of a serious incident, we can (if desired) form a partnership with a safety law firm and conduct the investigation under legal privilege – or simply for additional reassurance.
From our blog
1. What is the Injury Reporting Centre (IRC)? An early intervention triage service designed to assist workers with work-related injuries, to determine and guide the