Consultation is the sharing of relevant information about WHS and welfare with workers and other interested parties. It provides workers with a reasonable opportunity to:
- Express their views
- Raise work health and safety issues
- Contribute to the decision-making process
Safety consultation values the views of workers, taking them into account and working to advise workers on the outcome in a timely manner.
When is safety consultation required?
- Identifying and assessing risks to health and safety
- Deciding ways to eliminate or minimise those risks
- Deciding on the adequacy of facilities for worker welfare, e.g., toilets, meal rooms
- Proposing changes that may affect the health and safety of workers, e.g., Consultation to be included in purchasing procedures
- When deciding on procedures for other activities as described under the regulations
What are work groups?
A work group usually consists of workers who perform similar types of work and have similar health and safety concerns and conditions within the workplace. A worker or group of workers may be represented by any person authorised by them. An authorised person can be a union official or any other person. An employer can authorise any person to represent their interests.
What are the consultation options?
- Health and Safety Representatives
- Safety Committee
- Both HSR’s + Committee
- Other Agreed Arrangements (e.g., team meetings, toolbox talks)
Our consultants love to have a chat, so go ahead and give us a call on 1300 OHS RTW (647 789) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer – these articles are provided to supply general safety information to people responsible for OHS in their organisation. They are general in nature and do not substitute for legal and/or professional advice. We always suggest that organisations obtain information specific to their needs. Additional information can be found at https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/
10 Safety Tips for Thriving This Festive Season20 November 2023
[Case Study] Best rehab and return to work system16 November 2023
10 Tips for Stress Management13 November 2023
[Case Study] SafeMinds: Transforming Workplace Mental Health8 November 2023
How to Identify Mental Health Challenges in Others